Maximizing engine performance starts with engine heat management. Turbo charged applications generate an extreme amount of surface heat at the turbo charger that radiates directly into the aluminum head reducing the engine ECU's ability to advance ignition and fueling maps due to detonation. Besides strict global emissions standards resulting in restrictive catalytic converters being installed, OEM engineers must factor global restrictions on minimum clearances for front impact crash test results when packaging and designing the factory turbo downpipes.
Each HPA downpipe application is designed around emissions compliance requirements, thermal radiation/contact surface clearances and engine ecu software framework. The calibrators drive the hardware demands to ensure that the dimensions and catalytic converter requirements are calibrated within the spectrum of the ecu's capabilities. The goal is to reduce the heat at the mounting surface of the turbocharger to the aluminum head. When the balance of heat reduction has been realized, the calibrators can create a fuel and ignition mapping that will ensure that the tailpipe gases are clean and the boost levels can be raised. Heat is the enemy of HP and even your stock mapping will benefit from a more fluid design of exhaust gas discharge.
HPA's resulting 3" downpipe is a fabrication assembly designed around functionality and durability and proudly manufactured in Canada. .063wall T304L stainless mandrel tubing is precision tig-welded and Argon back purged for an ultra clean look on the exterior and a perfect clean weld on the interior. HPA's CNC formed hanger and laser cut flanges mate this assembly to the chassis and will withstand the thermal conditions the turbo will generate. Their flex couplings feature an internal stainless steel interlock liner that facilitates smooth flow of high temperature exhaust gases.
- Designed and assembled in-house
- 76mm Diameter
- T304L Stainless Steel
- Full stainless steel construction
- 100 Cell High Flow metal Catalytic Converter
- Reducer to allow for OEM catback fitment
- Argon back-purged TIG welded
- Lower CNC cut and formed lower hanger bracket
- Interlocking low profile Flex joint for stability under high EGT
- Removed the Factory Catalytic Converter directly off the turbo for increase in exhaust flow and drop in back pressure.
- Factory 02 sensor placement
- 3/8 CNC laser cut turbo flange
- Stainless Slip-fit AccuSeal Band clamp to mid-pipe
- Substantial weight savings